Just got back from SXSW on Tuesday afternoon, welcomed by two pigeons perched on top of the baggage claim and pouring down rain at the Newark airport. My first SXSW Interactive was in 2005 and well, it’s grown exponentially since then. Despite the throngs of people and long lines to get a cab, listen to a keynote, attend a party or eat a meal, I still was able to connect with old friends, eat some tasty BBQ and learn a little bit about a lot of different stuff. Here are some of my personal highlights:
Jetpack is the future of WordPress. We’re currently trying to decide whether to tumblrize AdLibbing (feel free to leave your two cents in the comments), so I decided to check out Kara Swisher’s live interview with WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg about the state of blogging. Evidently, a plug-in called Jetpack promises to make your self-hosted WordPress blog more networked (social).
2. Maps can be emotional
Attended a session from the Google Maps guys where they showed the Toronto Kiss Map as an example.
3. Teens tweet tolerance
In our session on bullying, I learned about @westhighbros a Twitter account dedicated to spreading kindness and tolerance at one high school.
4. TMZ’s Harvey Levin has standards
He refused to publish Michael Phelps pot smoking pic, court documents with details about Britney’s kids and the David Hasselhoff hamburger story. He also regrets the headline about Jennifer Love Hewitt that read, “I know what you ate last summer.”
5. Rachel Maddow likes a Sierra Nevada only available during the holidays
And she believes there is a huge gap between those who serve in the military and those who don’t).
6. Building content integration relationships takes time
It took Matt Damon’s charity Water.org three years to form relationships with the YouTube creators featured in its most recent Strike With Me campaign.
7. Women are definitely talking (a lot) about having it all, not having it all and telecommuting
Missed this session with Anne-Marie Slaughter. But attended another led by a PBS Digital exec managing a team of 25 people in Virginia from Hawaii!
8. Singing karaoke in a moving RV can be a cathartic experience
9. Best souvenir for a 3 ½ year old is a cowboy hat with a pink bandana
10. I can’t tell you what start-ups were really hot this year, but Ad Age Digital can