It’s no secret 2016 has been a crazy year. At the Ad Council, we asked our staff how they plan to use to learnings and events from 2016 to make resolutions to improve themselves and their work in 2017. Here are our 2017 New Year’s Resolutions.
- In 2016 I learned about loss and grief but what it has taught me is that life is fleeting and the importance of family. My vow for 2017 is to try to “not sweat the small stuff” and tell those that I love how much they mean to me.
- In 2016, I learned more about mindfulness, being present and the importance of taking a moment to step back and think. With this tough year coming up, I hope to continue mindfulness and practice patience.
- In 2016, I learned that taking a vacation and time off from work is not only important for personal health but also makes you appreciate your work even more.
- I spent most of 2016 traveling the world. Despite setting out alone, I was never alone for long. I met kind strangers in each and every place – strangers that I now call friends. While my new friends vary in race, religion, and age, they are all my dear friends, because love truly has no labels. We are all the same, no matter how our paths may differ, and I want to carry this incredible knowledge into the new year, and every year after.
- In 2016, I learned that no matter how much you want something or how hard you work, not everything will go your way. In 2017, I hope to let this learning provide perspective on my work without letting it slow me down.
- In 2016, I started to be in meetings with brilliant people from departments I had never worked or collaborated with before. I look forward to admiring and working more closely with a wider cross-section of colleagues in 2017!
- In 2017, I want to eat healthier to look my best on my wedding day and start a family by adopting a cat!
- In 2017, I hope to do one pull-up.
- In 2016, I learned the importance of family. Family is necessary at every age and in 2017 I will continue to support Adopt US Kids in their effort to encourage adoption of teens and older children.
- In 2016 I learned that I need to take time to relax and get outdoors. In 2017, I hope to meditate more and be more intentional.
- In 2016, I became aware of my implicit bias. In 2017, I hope to do everything I can to make the world a more inclusive and accepting place.
- In 2016 I learned there are volunteer matches made in heaven and hope to step it up in 2017!
- In 2017, I’d like to try leaving my phone behind for my daily walk
- In 2016 I realized that I totally under-appreciated David Bowie to this point and have a lot of catching up to do.
- In 2017 I pledge to take part more in my community and the world. Both socially and culturally!
- In 2017, I hope to practice my Spanish in order to tutor ESL students.
- In 2016, I learned that it’s never too early to start thinking about your retirement. In 2017, I’m upping my retirement contributions!
- In 2016, I found myself struggling to calm myself down in stressful situations. In 2017, I want to be better about prioritizing moments where I can intentionally slow down, calm down, and think clearer. Our office meditation classes have been really helpful!
Thank you for an amazing year, AdLibbing! We can’t wait to be back and better than ever in 2017.
P.S. What’s your New Year’s resolution? Let us know in the comments!